I hate to say it but that would be my wave to
the president right now *L*
I hate to say it but that would be my wave to
the president right now *L*
Oh bloody wonderful...we finally get offers of help and he turns it away....what a bloody fucking moron. Maybe he thinks that wave is the National salute now *shakes my head* People wonder why I don't watch much news it is because I can't stand to see that motherf*cking jackass on it 99% of the time making America look like the worlds biggest joke. This little article or story I got in email might be worth reading. I think if ALOT of people read it it would really clarify stuff for people in certain ways. Anyway...here goes...
Watch the Hoodlums
===================
Many of you have heard newscasters say that Katrina is the worst U.S. disaster since 1906. The San Francisco earthquake and fires were in 1906. The MountainWings issue, "Heroes and Hoodlums" included an excerpt from a Navy Lieutenant detailing the mob that looted saloons and became so drunk and disorderly that many men and women died in the fires that destroyed the city because
they were drunk.
They refused to help unless they were paid forty cents an hour.
People may think that when disaster strikes that humans sink to their lowest levels of morality and behavior. Not so. You find both heroes and hoodlums in disaster.
You will notice one common factor in the 1906 San Francisco drunken mobs and the 2005 New Orleans group causing trouble.
The New Orleans group has a large percentage of blacks. The San Francisco group was all white.
Race was NOT the common factor.
It was not religion. The dominate religion of both was Christian.
There was no hip-hop music, no TV, no heavy metal music, no crack cocaine or other modern drugs in 1906.
But there was a common factor.
From the Lieutenant's report, "this poor residence district..." "The most heartrending sights were witnessed in this neighborhood."
The common factor was poor neighborhoods.
Both groups felt oppressed, deprived, overlooked,misused, and mostly abandoned by society. You have to be in the situation to really understand the emotions that feeling oppressed can breed.
It doesn't just last for a few days either. Often you are born into it and realize that most likely you will die in it.
Poor
When the earthquake hit San Francisco 99 years ago, some took to the streets and looted saloons and got drunk.
When Katrina hit New Orleans some took to the streets and took items they thought were of material value.
The thing that most don't see and that the news does not emphasize is that it is NOT most of the people, only a minority. Most of the people from the neighborhood in San Francisco did not loot the saloons, only a portion, but it was that portion and minority who got written up and talked about in the Lieutenant's report because they were out front causing trouble.
Some would not help others unless they were paid because they felt society had been robbing them all along and they weren't going to help "those" folks unless someone paid them.
I don't condone what either group did, but I can understand how feeling oppressed, misused, and abandoned can create pent up hostility and resentment.
I sold newspapers when I was a boy in both the rich and poor neighborhoods of Atlanta. I had the ability to feel the spirit in the house the minute the door was opened.
There was joy and depression, good and bad, in both rich and poor areas but economic strife born of oppression and hopelessness adds an extra layer of stress that multiplies problems.
Perhaps the real disaster was neither Katrina nor the earthquake. It was the conditions that created such neighborhoods in the first place while all around them was excessive wealth.
Perhaps that is the real disaster, and perhaps the real hoodlums don't live in poor neighborhoods. The real hoodlums don't use ghetto guns. They don't shoot at helicopters; they own them.
There is nothing wrong with being rich. But there is something wrong with getting richer and exploiting others to make yourself wealthier beyond what you will ever need or spend.
Tell me if you don't feel robbed when you fill up your car.
Tell me if you don't feel robbed when you get your heating bill this winter and it is double the high bills of last year.
Tell me if you don't feel robbed when you can't afford the gas to get to work or to take your child to baseball practice.
If you can't afford the gas to get to work, guess which
neighborhood you are headed to?
While you were watching people wade down the street with a few purloined items, did you notice that YOUR wallet was much lighter?
A real good pickpocket takes your money, and you don't realize he's got it.
It's called the art of distraction.
So sit back in your easy chair, and watch the hoodlums.
Heroes and Hoodlums http://www.mountainwings.com/past/5245.htm
from this week's Time.com
i'm aghast at his insensitivity talking about rebuilding a senator's house...just when i think he's behaved about as badly as is possible....he comes up with something else....
<font size="4" face="Tempus Sans ITC, Verdana, Arial">Posted Sunday, Sep. 04, 2005
It isn't easy picking George Bush's worst moment last week. Was it his first go at addressing the crisis Wednesday, when he came across as cool to the point of uncaring? Was it when he said that he didn't "think anybody expected" the New Orleans levees to give way, though that very possibility had been forecast for years? Was it when he arrived in Mobile, Ala., a full four days after the storm made landfall, and praised his hapless Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) director, Michael D. Brown, whose disaster credentials seemed to consist of once being the commissioner of the International Arabian Horse Association? "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job," said the President. Or was it that odd moment when he promised to rebuild Mississippi Senator Trent Lott's house--a gesture that must have sounded astonishingly tone-deaf to the homeless black citizens still trapped in the postapocalyptic water world of New Orleans. "Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house--he's lost his entire house," cracked Bush, "there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch."
-just shakes my head in disgust- [img]eek.gif[/img]
Im proud to be an American..but not under the president I didnt vote for..The one I didnt ask for..I prefer to be under President Clinton at least he knew how to get things done..even himself.. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
People can say alot of nasty things about Clinton but at least he had this country running in forward motion...NOT backwards. And he gave a damn about the people in it not just his own pocket book.
<font size="4" face="Tempus Sans ITC, Verdana, Arial">In more ways than none... [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]Originally posted by Chele:
[Im proud to be an American..but not under the president I didnt vote for..The one I didnt ask for..I prefer to be under President Clinton at least <u>he knew how to get things done..even himself.. </u> [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
exactly!!! at least we know he is human.. [img]eek.gif[/img]
all I know gas wasnt 3 dollars a gallon under clinton
Bookmarks